Monday, October 13, 2014

Mary Lambert "Heart on my Sleeve" Album Review



It isn't all that often that you come across artists like Mary Lambert. As an artist she isn't afraid to bend lyrical boundaries. If you're not sure what I mean, check out the first verse from her new hit single, Secrets:

"I've got bi-polar disorder
My shit's not in order
I'm overweight
I'm always late
I've got too many things to say
I rock mom jeans, cat earrings
Extrapolate my feelings
My family is dysfunctional
But we have a good time killing each other"



It's no wonder that you can't help but love her. We typically think of artists as having these seemingly perfect lives. We tend to forget that at the end of the day they're just like us and have struggles just as we do.

She also adds some 'spoken word' as in Dear One that is rather refreshing. While not the standard music that we are accustomed to, Mary has a way of making you enjoy every word that comes out of her mouth. Another song, stemming from "Same Love" portrays two people in a same-sex relationship. Something that is very prevalent in today's government.

Last but certainly not least, we have a cover song. Not just a cover song, but a cover of Rick Springfields "Jessie's Girl". While not a song that you would typically expect a woman to sing, she does a fantastic job. The song brings on a completely new feel when the gender rolls are reversed.

This is definitely an album that you will have to listen to for yourself. Whether you are a fan of Country, Rap or Pop, I believe you will be pleased with what you hear. Mary's new album is available for purchase on October 14th, 2014. The album may also be pre-ordered on the following sites:

iTunes
Amazon

You can also follow Mary on the following sites:

Website
Twitter
YouTube
Facebook

--------------------------------------

I participated in the Mary Lambert Heart On My Sleeve album review program as a member of One2One Network. I was provided a free album to review but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment